Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Staging/First Few Days in Mozambique

(Written Sept 28th, 2013)

These last few days have just flown by and been a whirlwind of craziness.  To start with I AM FINALLY IN MOZAMBIQUE!  But I’m getting ahead of myself, so I’ll start at the beginning for you.  

The view from my hotel balcony in Maputo, Mozambique
Monday after I got to our hotel in Philly, I met up with some other volunteers who also arrived a day early.  We went out to eat, got a few drinks and then just hung out and got to know each other.  We were all pretty exhausted because most of us got very little sleep the night before because of nerves and excitement, so we went to bed relatively early.  Then Tuesday, everyone arrived and our staging officially started.  It included some icebreakers (although not as many as I expected and honestly, was dreading), and then going over some general PC things.  It was great to finally meet the people who would be going on this adventure with me.  We have 50 people in our group and all of them are amazing.  After our 7 hr staging we all split up for our last meals and then came back to the hotel and played some cards and had some more bonding time.  At about 11:30 we went to do one of 3 things; either go get some sleep, repack, or just chill until we left at 2AM Wednesday morning for the airport.  I figured that it wasn’t a good idea for me to go to sleep since it was already about 11:30, so I repacked, took a shower and relaxed until it was time for me to head to the lobby to check out. 

After making sure everyone was in the lobby, we all loaded up two big charter buses (which was great because everyone had 2 seats to themselves so we could stretch out and sleep if we wanted to), and then the fun really started around 2:30.  We left the hotel, drove about 2 hrs to JFK, then had to wait until about 7:30 when the check-in finally opened, got through security and then had to wait until 11 when we boarded our flight.  (PS  I only got about 30 minutes of sleep on the bus.)  Our flight, 15hrs to Johannesburg, South Africa, was filled with lots of movies, games, bonding time, eating, and finally sleeping.  By the time we were in Johannesburg we were all in such a haze.  We had no idea what time it was, what day it was, or really where we were.  After figuring out that it was already Thursday and that we had basically lost Wednesday completely in the air and figuring out the time with the +7hr time zone change, we realized that we had a 4 hr layover until we boarded our flight at 1:05pm to Maputo, Mozambique.  This flight was much easier.  It was about 45 min. and I slept almost the entire way.  We were greeted by the Country Director and some of the other staff, and surprisingly, we all got every piece of luggage with everything in it.  (1 point for Moz 21). 


All 50 of us crammed into 3 vans, while most of our luggage was put into the back of a pickup with a trailer hooked up to it.  Then took a short ride through the town and checked into our hotel.  And then, of course more fun started, our first round of vaccines took place and then dinner. 

View from my balcony in Maputo, Moz
Today, was full of lots of icebreakers and general information about Mozambique and PC, and of course more time just to hang out with everyone.  We met some of our PC Mozambique staff and someone from the embassy came and basically told us everything that could go wrong and all the issues that there are in the country.  Generally, I feel that Mozambique is a very safe country, and PC has a very good handle on what is going on and where it is not safe for us to be.  Then we learned how to put together and use our water filter and all about the Peace Corps Moz Medical Office.  The PC Moz staff seems awesome. Of course following this… was more vaccines!  So far my in country vaccines only total 4 but my arms are still pretty sore, should be fun moving my luggage tomorrow! 


I still don’t feel like I'm in Mozambique.  We have been staying at a very nice hotel overlooking water and its beautiful here.  We’ve had showers, air conditioning, a pool, running water, and pretty good food for the past 2 days.  Tomorrow we leave for Namaacha (na-ma-sha), which is about 2hrs away to meet our host families.  I am very excited to start this journey and feel as though it will be a reality check, since it will be more like my life for the next 27 months.  I have very little Portuguese skills so it should be very interesting communicating for the first few weeks and will probably be a lot of pantomiming.  Wish me luck!
Another View from my balcony in Maputo, Moz
View from my balcony in Maputo, Moz

No comments:

Post a Comment